Sunday, July 6, 2008

Makes you think

We had a strong rain storm here last wednesday night and we lost our electricity for a couple of days. I went to bed on Wed night fully prepared to wake up to a house full of electriclity or as Sydney likes to call it - Lightricity.

We still had water, even hot water, just no lights, tv, stove, computer, well you get the idea.
My children found it to be an adventure at first but when they woke up on Thursday morning and couldn't watch TV before breakfast or feed their Webkinz they seemed lost. It took Ben a couple of hours to figure out what to do with himself and this is what made me think...

I thought I was doing a good job limiting TV/computer time but apparently I am not. I get focused on my office work and I don't realize how long I let them watch tv or play games. It was so nice to not have the background noise or to have people 'discussing ' what they should watch or play. It was so nice to see Ben play with some toys or games that he hadn't touched in weeks. It is so easy to fall into the habit of letting them watch just one more show or play just one more level so that I can get just one more bid typed for Chris.

I am going to work very hard this week to take time out of my busy day to get Ben and Sydney involved in some more activities that don't require a remote or a mouse!

No comments: